We had such a great first full week! We rocked alphabetical ordering, we are gaining a deeper understanding of place value, we completed all of our Benchmark tests, we had our first cursive lesson, and we even had a special visitor to our classroom on Friday! To help us celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, Mr. Leo shared many interesting facts with us about the country he grew up in – Colombia! He even brought a special Colombian food for us to try: empanadas! We were so grateful for the knowledge he shared and the hard work he does at Trinity.
Important Information for 9/17-9/21:
We look forward to seeing you at our Back to School Night, Thurs. 9/20 at 7pm, starting in the Chapel then moving to our classroom. You’ll get an overview of what your child will be learning in 2nd grade and have an opportunity to ask any general questions you may have. (Please note that this will be a whole-group time; if you have individualized questions, please contact me.)
Thursday 9/20 Back to School Night (K-5) 7pm
Tuesday 9/25 PTFA Meeting @ 7:30pm
Friday 9/21 ELA Tests (Phonics, Grammar, and Story Comprehension only)
(There are no spelling words or test this week.)
Math: Chapter 1: Number Concepts (Ones, Tens, counting by 5’s, 10’s, 100’s)
- Number Words (ninety, fifty-five, etc.)
- Counting by 10’s (430, 440, 450, 460…)
- Counting by 100’s (300, 400, 500, 600…)
Vocabulary: even, odd, digits, tens, ones, place value
Reading/ELA (English Language Arts): Lesson 2
- Story: My Family/Mi Familia
- Comprehension Strategy: Compare and Contrast (How are they the same? How are they different?)
- Phonics Rule: Identifying the Short “o”, Short “e”, and Short “u” sounds to spell and read words
- As you practice this spelling rule, have your child listen for and identify the vowel sound in words (specifically short o, u, and e. Is the sound at the beginning of the word, or in the middle? What other sounds do they hear? Can they sound out and spell the word independently?)
- Vocabulary Strategy: Using a Glossary
- Grammar: Identifying and Writing Complete Sentences
Science: Health and Nutrition
How can we be physically healthy?
Vocabulary: vitamins, minerals, protein
Social Studies: September is Hispanic Heritage Month!
We will be learning about the country of Guatemala! This year, we are also supporting Guatemala as our Giving Back Charity. We are trying to help build a house!
Vocabulary: country, Hispanic, Guatemala
Religion: God’s Promise to Abram
How can I help my child this week? Review the note under “Phonics Rule” above. When they ask for help with spelling words, encourage them to sound it out themselves – “What sound do you hear first? Next?” Emphasize the letter sounds so they can hear it and spell it. Practice writing larger number words like “sixty” and “eighty-seven”.
In His Service,
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. – Hebrews 13:8