“What is success? To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate the beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded!” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Important Information for June 17-21:
Social Studies Unit 3 Test Tuesday, June 18th
Friday, June 21 Last day of school. Chapel at 11am. Dismiss at 12:00pm. Trimester 3 Ends.
Math: Getting Ready for 3rd Grade!
- Skip Counting
- Multiplication is repeated addition of equal groups (2+2+2+2 = 4 groups of 2 = 4×2=8!)
- Division is repeated subtraction of equal groups (8-2-2-2-2= 8 split into 4 equal groups of 2 = 8 / 2 = 4!)
Vocabulary: repeated addition, repeated subtraction, equal groups, multiply, divide
Reading/ELA (English Language Arts):
- Adjectives vs. Adverbs
- Adjectives describe nouns (what color, size, shape, how many, etc.)
- The soft, white bunny ate crunchy carrots.
- Adverbs describe verbs (tells how something was done, when, or where)
- Yesterday, Josh quickly ran to the store and shouted loudly! (Hint: Adverbs usually end in -ly)
Science: Unit 2 – States of Matter
Vocabulary: matter, property, solid, liquid, gas
Social Studies: American History
Religion: What is the Lord’s Prayer? Where does it come from? What does it mean?
How can I help my child this week? Skip counting is a great way to help your child memorize multiplication facts. We’ve already mastered counting by 1’s, 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s. Get a pile of small objects at home, and ask your child to count by 2’s, 5’s, etc. – making equal groups. Then show them how counting by 3’s, 4’s, and even 8’s is exactly the same! Have them make small piles of three, and count each one. 1, 2, 3. 4, 5, 6. 7, 8, 9. 10, 11, 12. So counting by 3’s: 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. This is also 3+3+3+3, or 3×1, 3×2, 3×3, 3×4, etc. The most important part is to help your child enjoy exploring skip counting and math leading up to multiplication. There is no pressure for them to master anything over the summer! =]
In His Service,
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. – Hebrews 13:8