This week in science, we learned about “Nutrition Facts” and that foods have labels that tell us exactly what’s inside them. So don’t be surprised if we start looking at what our food is giving us – fat, fiber, sugar, protein….Today we compared Fruity Pebbles and Apples! We were surprised to find that one apple actually had more sugar than a bowl of Fruity Pebbles, but it had way less sodium, way more potassium, and a good amount of fiber to help our bodies digest!
We also learned about Joseph’s story and all the ups and downs he experienced in life! It was very reassuring to know that God is with us through our ups and downs in life just like He was always with Joseph.
Important Information for 10/15-10/18:
Thurs 10/18 @ 12:15pm Picture Day!
Fri 10/19 No School (Teacher Professional Development)
M-F 10/22-26 Spirit Week
Friday 10/19 ELA Tests: Spelling, Story/Comprehension, Grammar
Tuesday 10/23 Social Studies Quiz: Types of Communities – Urban, Suburban, Rural
Math: Chapter 2: Numbers to 1,000
- Number Patterns and Flexible Thinking: Counting by 10’s and 100’s. Which column changes?
- Comparing Numbers: < Less than and > Greater than
Vocabulary: thousands, hundreds, tens, ones, place value, less than, more than
Reading/ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 2 Lesson 6
- Story: Animals Building Homes
- Comprehension Strategy: Reading Text Features (text boxes/inserts) and Graphic Features (pictures, charts, diagrams)
- Phonics Rule: Common Blends at the End of Words (nd, ng, nk, nt, ft, xt, mp)
- As you practice this spelling rule, help your child listen for both consonant sounds in the blends.
- Spelling Words: next, end, camp, sank, sing, drink, hunt, stand, long, stamp, pond, bring, jump, left, young, friend
- Grammar: Plural Nouns:
- Irregular Nouns (mouse → mice)
- Special endings (ch, sh, x, s, z) get -es (dresses, churches, foxes, etc.)
- Vocabulary Strategy: Base Words and Prefixes un- (not; untie) and re- (again; replay)
- Fluency: Changing the expression in your voice
- Writing: Informational Paragraphs
Science: We are now starting our normal science curriculum.
Unit 1: Engineering Design Process.
Vocabulary: engineer, design process, solution, strength, weakness
Social Studies: Unit 1: Culture. Lesson 3: Types of Communities
Vocabulary: urban, suburban, rural
Religion: Moses leads God’s people
How can I help my child this week? When your child asks you to help them spell a word, encourage them to say the word slowly. Have them stretch the word out so they hear each sound. Help them write the letter that matches the sound! For instance, if we were spelling “stand”: Ask them to s-t-r-e-tch out the word and emphasize the different sounds they hear at the beginning, middle, and end. Ask them and encourage them to hear the two sounds in the “consonant blends”. (Vowels are a, e, i, o, u. Consonants are all the other letters. “Consonant Blends” are when two consonants smoosh together, like in our spelling words last week and this week.)
In His Service,
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. – Hebrews 13:8